A burst pipe has the potential to render tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to your property. If you’re unlucky, to that of your neighbors as well. A quick reaction time and knowing exactly what needs to happen are critical to minimizing the damage caused. 24-hour Chicago sewer & plumbing company, Almighty Rooter Sewer & Plumbing, has compiled this handy list to let you know exactly what you need to do in the event of a burst pipe.
- Immediately turn off your mains water supply at the stopcock. If you don’t know where this is located, you should find it as soon as possible
- If water continues to flow, open all your cold-water taps and flush the toilet several times, to try and get the water left in the pipes to rather flow down a drain
- Should you suspect or notice that any electrical outlets are affected, turn off your electrical supply at the mains as well
- Even if no electrical outlets appear affected, turn off your central heating, immersion heater and hot water heater, as applicable
- When applicable, use buckets or towels to catch as much of the water as you can, to avoid it running into your home
- Locate the rupture and inspect the damage. Small cracks may be an easy patch, but anything larger is a serious cause for concern
- Record the damage that has been done, ideally with pictures and/or video, and contact your home insurance provider. They typically will advise you on what you would need in the event of a claim, and the contact details of services such as a drying crew in the case of severe water leakage
- Contact a professional plumber. As a pipe burst can happen at any time, make sure than you have the details of a reputable 24-hour plumbers in your area, such as Chicago-based Almighty Rooter Sewer & Plumbing. As water pipes do sustain high pressures, a professional plumbing repair job is crucial. Botched DIY jobs stand a good chance of causing even greater damage when they fail
- Ask the plumber about preventative measures for the future. Any reputable plumber can inform you about how to prevent pipe bursts
If you have need of a 24-hour plumbing repair company in the Chicago area, don’t hesitate to contact Almighty Rooter Sewer & Plumbing at (733) 312-4815 today! Financing available!