When living in an area susceptible to flooding, such as Chicago, it is never a bad idea to be fully prepared for the eventuality of a flood. There are several ways in which you can reduce the potential damage to your home during and after flooding by planning a few things beforehand. Here are some ways in which you can prepare for an unexpected flood courtesy of Chicago-based plumbing repair company, Almighty Rooter Sewer & Plumbing.
- Should you become aware of any flood warning forecasts or signs such as particularly heavy rain or official flood warnings, you should immediately begin preparing an emergency kit. This kit should be able to sustain you and your family in the absence of electricity and mobile phone service for several days. It should contain non-perishable food, drinking water, a first aid kit, batteries and a portable radio. Plan your evacuation and your meeting point as well.
- The most effective way to reduce the damage in the aftermath of a flood is to ensure that you have an effective and well-designed drainage system, as standing water is a large contributor to property damage after a flood. A reputable sewer & plumbing company should be able to assist you in ensuring your drainage system is clear and able to handle large volumes of drainage and can provide a sump pump for emergencies.
- Assess the location of your home’s critical equipment and relocate them above the flood line with the help of professionals. Should a flood appear imminent, disconnect all non-critical electrical appliances and equipment and move them above the likely flood line. Also, shut off your home’s gas, electricity and water supply at the source, as fire or electrocution are very real risks. If you do leave the electrical supply on, never use any electrical devices you suspect may have become wet or have plugs or cables running through water.
- Contact your insurance as soon as possible and thoroughly document the damage. Open all your doors and windows to try and ventilate the interior of your home to prevent mold and mildew. You may need to replace and furniture that came into contact with the flood water.
- Before reconnecting utilities, have them assessed by professionals. Gas lines, electrical inlets, and plumbing are often damaged during floods. Sewers and other drainage systems are likely to have become clogged or damaged during a flood, so contact a plumbing company to assist you in clearing up the aftermath.
If you need a plumbing service in the Chicago Illinois or want more information, do not hesitate to contact Almighty Rooter Sewer & Plumbing at (773) 312-4815 today. We will assess your gas line, repair your plumbing and clean your sewer and even provide a free camera inspection of your sewer valued at $250, just to make sure that everything is in working order. Financing available.